Not All Gluten-Free is created equal!
With the rise of celiac disease and gluten intolerance as well as more public awareness about why gluten isn’t that great for our digestive system, more and more people are opting for a gluten free lifestyle.
More people choosing to live their lives gluten free is great. The problem is that many people believe that because a product is gluten free it is automatically healthy as well. With the rise is gluten free products on the market and lots of clever marketing it’s easy to see how we can get sucked into thinking we are making a healthy choice by choosing gluten-free but that’s not always the case. There is just as much gluten free junk food as there is regular junk food. Those gluten free cookies are probably still LOADED with refined sugars, thickeners, preservatives and artificial colours and are still just as unhealthy as the gluten filled version.
So what’s a gal/guy to do? Here are some ways you can make sure you don't fall into the trap of buying gluten free food that is just as bad for you as junk food.
- Read the INGREDIENTS. That’s always the very best place to start.
- Try to purchase products that have wholefood ingredients that you recognise as food.
- Avoid refined sugars, sugar alcohols & artificial sweeteners
- Avoid products that contain vegetable oils like canola, soybean, corn, sunflower, grape seed oil, margarine, and sunflower
- Look for products that are naturally sweetened with honey, maple syrup, rice malt syrup, coconut nectar or pure stevia
- Look for products that fall into the category of “paleo” to help navigate towards more nutrient dense and cleaner products
When in doubt Paleo Hero has your back. The entire Paleo Hero range is both gluten & dairy free and contains 100% wholefood ingredients that you will recognise as food.