First it was smoking, then it was fat, then sugar, now sitting is the new evil and the more we dive in to the research the more we agree that we are spending far too much time on our butts.
Long periods of sitting every day has been linked to metabolic dis-regulation including obesity, increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat around the waist and abnormal cholesterol levels. Too much sitting overall and prolonged periods of sitting also seem to increase the risk of death from cardiovascular disease and cancer as well as generalised back pain, knee pain and joint issues.
If you are one of the thousands of Australian's who are stuck at a desk for the majority of your day you have likely suffered from back pain at some point but don't worry, there is a solution and we have enlisted the help of The Health & Fitness Guy to take us through some mobility drills to help release those tight hips and in turn, hopefully decrease some of that subsequent pain that can occur in the lower back, knees and pelvis.
Prolonged sitting can contribute to tightness through the hip flexors which in turn can lead to a pull on the pelvis known as anterior pelvic tilt. This can alter the posture and lead to muscle imbalances and pain. By releasing the hips we can start to increase mobility in the hip flexors and reduce that pain.
Mobility drills are a great way to help combat the issues associated with long periods of sitting but other things to look into might be
- A standing desk set-up to allow for periods of standing and sitting at work
- Incorporate walking meetings into your day. Grab a coffee and take a walk outside with your colleage instead of sitting at a desk.
- Take a break from sitting every 30 minutes to have a quick walk around the office or do a couple of minutes of mobility drills.
- Ensure you are nourishing your body right to keep systemic inflammation to a minimum. Need some healthier snack options than those vending machines can offer? Check out our Primal Slices and Mixes for a healthy snack option.
- Get a treadmill desk so you can walk & work!
Watch this video to get some quick and easy ways to loosen those hip flexors and increase your mobility.
Check out The Health & Fitness Guy for more great workouts and mobility drills to help you train smarter, he recently just put the hosts of the Today Show through their paces with his PrimalThenics training too!